Re: port 25 filters on dialup connections

On Tue, 11 Nov 1997, William Pietri wrote:

> At 10:41 PM 11/11/97 -0500, you wrote:
> >The other reason that I am not willing to do this is that my provider is
> >NOT using qmail and I get faster delivery doing it directly.  (I host no
> >mailing lists and I do NO bulk mailings - which is probably true for 90%
> >or more of the dialup customers of any provider.  Has anyone done a survey
> >to see what % of the dialup users are really causing a problem?  I would
> >really like to know what the % is to see how unfair this treatment is.)
>
> I'd be willing to bet cash money that the percentage of users bothered by
> spam is much larger than the percentage of users that would care about (or
> even notice) blocking direct SMTP from IP dialup pools. [Note that many ISPs
> are willing and able to offer fixed IP addresses for users; this block
> wouldn't have to apply to them.] If we're talking about "fair" and "unfair",
> I'd say you're holding the wrong end of the stick.

I didn't ask what percentage were bothered by spam, I asked what
percentage of the dialup users were abusing the system.  If we're talking
5% or less, then you're proposing using a sledgehammer to drive a
thumbtack.  This is overkill.  I would like to see some numbers to justify
this approach!

Timothy L. Mayo
Email: tmayo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
WWW:   http://mayod.nb.net/