[Bacula-devel] Some (benign?) errors running btape tests. Bug?

[Originally posted to -users on Nov 19. No responses.  Since this is an
undocumented drive, as far as Bacua goes, maybe someone could chime in
here.]

I'm working on setting up Bacula on an IBM Ultrium-HH4 (a google search
which returns NO results for bacula), bare drive, no changer, and was
running the btape tests.  I got some errors, but I don't think they're
serious.

The first one I think is because I manually set the block size to 128K,
per some LTO4 discussion that I read.  I may play with other block
sizes to see if I can speed up the drive.  Anyway, on the Append test,
I got this:

btape: btape.c:1577 Wrote one record of 130972 bytes.
btape: btape.c:1579 Wrote block to device.
btape: btape.c:505 Wrote 1 EOF to "LTO4DRIVE" (/dev/st0)
btape: btape.c:475 Rewound "LTO4DRIVE" (/dev/st0)
Done appending, there should be no I/O errors

Doing Bacula scan of blocks:
1 block of 131008 bytes in file 1
End of File mark.
2 blocks of 131008 bytes in file 2
End of File mark.
3 blocks of 131008 bytes in file 3
End of File mark.
1 block of 131008 bytes in file 4
End of File mark.
Total files=4, blocks=7, bytes = 917,056
End scanning the tape.
We should be in file 4. I am at file 4. This is correct!

The above Bacula scan should have output identical to what follows.
Please double check it ...
=== Sample correct output ===
1 block of 64448 bytes in file 1
End of File mark.
2 blocks of 64448 bytes in file 2
End of File mark.
3 blocks of 64448 bytes in file 3
End of File mark.
1 block of 64448 bytes in file 4
End of File mark.
Total files=4, blocks=7, bytes = 451,136
=== End sample correct output ===

All the file counts are correct, just the byte counts are off, due to
the block size.  I assume I can count the output as "identical" for all
intents and purposes?

Second error:

Do you want to run the simplified test (s) with one tape
or the complete multiple tape (m) test: (s/m) s
Simple test (single tape) selected.
Mount blank Volume on device "LTO4DRIVE" (/dev/st0) and press return
when ready:
19-Nov 22:20 btape: Fatal Error at dev.c:1663 because:
dev.c:1662 Attempt to WEOF on non-appendable Volume
Wrote Volume label for volume "TestVolume1".
Wrote Start of Session label.
22:20:50 Begin writing Bacula records to tape ...

And it went on to successful completion of the test.  Was it
non-appendable because it didn't have a Volume Label yet?  Is there
something else I should be looking for?

Third "error:"

*unfill
20-Nov 02:10 btape JobId 0: Ready to read from volume "TestVolume1" on
device "LTO4DRIVE" (/dev/st0).
Rewinding.
Reading the first 10000 records from 0:0.
10000 records read now at 1:2502
Reposition from 1:2502 to 1003:2752
Reading block 2752.

The last block on the tape matches. Test succeeded.

20-Nov 02:10 btape: Fatal Error because: Bacula interrupted by signal
11: Segmentation violation
Kaboom! btape, btape got signal 11 - Segmentation violation. Attempting
traceback.

The traceback hung and hung, and I finally had to kill -9 btape, and I
got no output.  The "unfill" worked, but then btape segfaulted for some
reason.  I guess the data on the tape is OK?

Does any result here indicate possible data loss down the road?

This is with Bacula 2.4.2 and the SourceForge EL5 RPM's on CentOS 5.2.

Any ideas?

Joshua Kugler
Part-Time System Admin/Programmer
http://www.eeinternet.com