Re: [Bacula-devel] Backup Corruption with Certain Types of Drive

On Dec 7, 2008, at 6:46 PM, Allan Black wrote:

> Dan Langille wrote:
>> There was a problem, a few years back, but since solved, with
>> FreeBSD's
>> pthreads.  It would cause data to be "written" to the end of the
>> tape,
>> but it would not actually reach the tape.
>> http://mlblog.osdir.com/os.freebsd.devel.scsi/2003-06/msg00018.shtml
>
> I am actually seeing the opposite of this; there is more data on the
> tape
> than Bacula thinks it has written - one block more, to be exact!
>
>> What OS are you running?
>
> Sorry, I was intending to include this information, but I was
> concentrating
> so hard on the content, I forgot!
>
> Solaris 10 x86 (update 3 - 11/06)
>
>> What version of Bacula?
>
> 2.4.3
>
>> What is in your bacula-sd.conf file?

> #
> # Internal DDS3 Autochanger
> #
> Autochanger {
>  Name = DDS3
>  Device = DDS3-0
>  Changer Command = "/usr/local/bacula/bin/mtx-changer %c %o %S %a %d"
>  Changer Device = /dev/scsi/changer/c2t3d1
> }
>
> Device {
>  Name = DDS3-0
>  Media Type = DDS-3
>  Archive Device = /dev/rmt/1cbn
>  AutomaticMount = no
>  AlwaysOpen = yes
>  RemovableMedia = yes
>  RandomAccess = no
>  AutoChanger = yes
> }

I am speaking without researching the issue... FWIW, I have this in my
Device:

   Hardware End of Medium  = no
   BSF at EOM              = yes
   Backward Space Record   = yes
   Fast Forward Space File = yes
   TWO EOF                 = yes

I'm not sure if these may be FreeBSD (my OS) specific or not.  I guess
you could blindly try those or research them.  :)

--
Dan Langille
http://langille.org/