Re: [Bacula-devel] Backups to DVD defunct in recent versions?

On Saturday 29 November 2008 18:05:02 Jari Fredriksson wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Yes, the DVD code is unfortunately very difficult to
> > maintain, and apparently no one in the community tested
> > it while in beta phase, so it seems to be pretty
> > seriously broken.
> >
> > We are considering (I have been doing so for some time)
> > ripping it out and using DVD filesystems which allow more
> > or less normal appends to DVDs.
>
> Someone mentioned that 2.0.2 would work. Would it be possible to add that
> tarball to sourceforge, as it is not there anymore.

All releases are always there, I just "hide" displaying them after awhile when
we no longer support them to avoid confusion.  There is some way to directly
access all releases, but I forget how.  In any case, I have temporarily
activated that release ...

> I have been a month without any backup solution, after my DAT died, and I
> invested lots of money to a DVD-writer + media + storage bag for those. If
> 2.0.2 works, it would be a great temporary solution.

Good luck with it,

Kern

PS: I would recommend that you simply write 4.7GB (or slightly smaller) disk
Volumes, then use a DVD burning program to write them to the DVD.  That would
probably be much more reliable.  You could probably with a soft link in the
appropriate directory to the DVD use Bacula to read directly from the DVD
after it is written.