Re: [Bacula-devel] Backups to DVD defunct in recent versions?

Hello,

Yes, the DVD code is unfortunately very difficult to maintain, and apparently
no one in the community tested it while in beta phase, so it seems to be
pretty seriously broken.

We are considering (I have been doing so for some time) ripping it out and
using DVD filesystems which allow more or less normal appends to DVDs.

On Saturday 29 November 2008 17:06:51 Michel Meyers wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've noticed this for a while now: my DVD-RW backups can't append to
> DVDs, they keep marking them as 'Error' and requesting new ones.
>
> These are the messages I saw on the console:
>
> 29-Nov 16:02 server-sd JobId 180: Volume "DVD-011" previously written,
> moving to end of data.
> 29-Nov 16:02 server-sd JobId 180: Error: Bacula cannot write on DVD
> Volume "DVD-011" because: The sizes do not match! Volume=1687541786
> Catalog=9843026
>
> List media shows this for DVD-011:
> |      11 | DVD-011    | Error     |       1 |     9,843,026 |        0|
>
>    1,209,600 |       1 |    0 |         1 | DVD       | 2008-11-29
> 15:57:34|
>
> The DVD shows this:
> server:/cdrom# ls -l /cdrom
> total 1647991
> -rw-r----- 1 root root 838849620 2008-11-29 15:21 DVD-011
> -rw-r----- 1 root root 838849328 2008-11-29 15:53 DVD-011.2
> -rw-r----- 1 root root   9842838 2008-11-29 15:57 DVD-011.3
>
> After running a bscan -m on the volume:
> |      11 | DVD-011    | Error     |       1 | 1,686,600,838 |        0|
>
>    1,209,600 |       1 |    0 |         1 | DVD       | 2008-11-29
> 15:57:14|
>
> It looks as if Bacula forgot to count one of the spooling files. Does
> anybody else see this problem on their systems?

There are a number of bugs open on DVDs, though I don't remember anyone
pointing out this particular question.  Probably the simplest solution is to
just disable the test for DVDs.

Regards,

Kern