Re: [Bacula-devel] Director bug when using two storage daemons?

Hello,

I've analyzed your problem, and I know what is happening, but don't yet know
how to resolve the problem.

The problem:
- You begin writing a giant job onto a Volume
- There are no other volumes available for writing (big mistake).
- You start a second job that needs a Volume to write on.
- The second job see that there are no JobMedia records associated with the
Volume (not yet written), so it purges the Volume.
- A sort of chaos then follows.

Workaround:
- Stop running Bacula on the bleeding edge of Volume availablity. This is
always a bad idea and frequently leads to unexpected situations.
- Don't only have a single volume available if that Volume can only store one
Job (according to your settings), and you start a second job while the first
is running but before it has written at least 1GB of data.

Solution:
- I don't have one, because we have no way to "lock" a volume from being
purged.  Any thing we might do would be prone to errors if the SD should fail
while the volume was "locked".

Bottom line: it is easy to work around this problem, and unless we are lucky
and come up with a good idea, I don't see that there is any easy way to
resolve the problem.