Re: [Bacula-devel] win32 restore warning on german umlauts

On Thu, 2008-11-06 at 10:47 +0100, Kern Sibbald wrote:
> On Thursday 06 November 2008 10:16:31 Ulrich Leodolter wrote:
> > On Wed, 2008-11-05 at 23:25 +0100, Kern Sibbald wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > Thanks for the patch.  I have modified the Bacula Win32 source code to
> > > use wide characters in chmod similar to what you did, but for Win32
> > > portability reasons, I didn't use _wchmod, but rather implemented it
> > > directly with Win32 API calls.
> > >
> > > I would appreciate it if you could test the version I have built and
> > > report back.  You can find it at:
> > >
> > >   http://www.sibbald.com/download/winbacula-2.4.3.exe
> > >
> > > Many thanks,
> > >
> > > Kern
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > Would be nice if this patch goes into win32 beta.
> > I have installed winbacula-2.5.16.exe on 15 clients,
> > and dont like to switch back.
>
> This code is in the trunk SVN. I didn't realize you needed a 2.5.x version, so
> I have built it with the new Win32 beta with the code included.  However,
> please remember that for the moment, this is more Alpha than beta.  If it
> works, it will be OK, but it could possibly blow up too.
>
> You can find it at:
>
>   http://www.sibbald.com/download/winbacula-2.5.18.exe
>
> Please be sure to keep the installer for the old version in case of problems.

I've installed it in my no critcal testing machine (VBox WinXP)
first restore test looks good (no chmod warnings on umlauts)

> > Any plans for next beta release before 3.0.0 ?
>
> I was going to release one this week, but there are too many things going on,
> so it will need to wait a bit longer.  I am on vacation from the 8th to the
> 14th, so the following week, I will probably release another beta (without
> requiring the database upgrade), which, if it is tested will include the
> Win32 chmod fix as well as an Exchange plugin for Win32.  I don't like to
> make a release then leave on vacation.  I am sure if I did, Eric could handle
> any problems that might crop up, but he has enough work at the moment without
> adding that responsibility just at this moment.

Thanks for infos, have a restful vacation!

> By the way, the exchange plugin is included in the winbacula-2.5.18 binary.

Nice, but we dont use Exchange :-)

> Regards,
>
> Kern
>
> By the way, with an LTO-3 drive and running multiple concurrent backups you
> should be able to get up to 150GB/sec writing to the tape.  Doing Copy or
> Migrate will probably not be as fast -- a lot depends on the CPU speed of the
> SD machine.  However, to get these kinds of throughput, you really need to
> examine your system in detail -- i.e. you need professional help as there are
> a lot of issues concerning configuration of Bacula, but even more concerning
> your hardware.
>

> > Thx
> > Ulrich

Ulrich Leodolter <ulrich.leodolter@xxxxxxxx>