Re: [Bacula-devel] win32 restore warning on german umlauts

On Thursday 06 November 2008 10:16:31 Ulrich Leodolter wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-11-05 at 23:25 +0100, Kern Sibbald wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Thanks for the patch.  I have modified the Bacula Win32 source code to
> > use wide characters in chmod similar to what you did, but for Win32
> > portability reasons, I didn't use _wchmod, but rather implemented it
> > directly with Win32 API calls.
> >
> > I would appreciate it if you could test the version I have built and
> > report back.  You can find it at:
> >
> >   http://www.sibbald.com/download/winbacula-2.4.3.exe
> >
> > Many thanks,
> >
> > Kern
>
> Hello,
>
> Would be nice if this patch goes into win32 beta.
> I have installed winbacula-2.5.16.exe on 15 clients,
> and dont like to switch back.

This code is in the trunk SVN. I didn't realize you needed a 2.5.x version, so
I have built it with the new Win32 beta with the code included.  However,
please remember that for the moment, this is more Alpha than beta.  If it
works, it will be OK, but it could possibly blow up too.

You can find it at:

  http://www.sibbald.com/download/winbacula-2.5.18.exe

Please be sure to keep the installer for the old version in case of problems.

> Any plans for next beta release before 3.0.0 ?

I was going to release one this week, but there are too many things going on,
so it will need to wait a bit longer.  I am on vacation from the 8th to the
14th, so the following week, I will probably release another beta (without
requiring the database upgrade), which, if it is tested will include the
Win32 chmod fix as well as an Exchange plugin for Win32.  I don't like to
make a release then leave on vacation.  I am sure if I did, Eric could handle
any problems that might crop up, but he has enough work at the moment without
adding that responsibility just at this moment.

By the way, the exchange plugin is included in the winbacula-2.5.18 binary.

Regards,

Kern

By the way, with an LTO-3 drive and running multiple concurrent backups you
should be able to get up to 150GB/sec writing to the tape.  Doing Copy or
Migrate will probably not be as fast -- a lot depends on the CPU speed of the
SD machine.  However, to get these kinds of throughput, you really need to
examine your system in detail -- i.e. you need professional help as there are
a lot of issues concerning configuration of Bacula, but even more concerning
your hardware.