Re: [Bacula-devel] Accept "spooldata" flag on bconsole "run" cmd

Hi Eric et al.,

On Tuesday 04 November 2008, Eric Bollengier wrote:
> Hello Bastian,
>
> Le Tuesday 04 November 2008 15:14:40 Bastian Friedrich, vous avez écrit :
> > Hi,
> >
> > currently, Bacula accepts a "Spool data" flag for storages within job
> > ressources, and in Run statements in a schedule. Modifying the Spooling
> > statement while calling "run" inside bconsole is not available.
> >
> > Doing so is sensible in a number of cases; often, Full backups may be
> > non-spooled, while incrementals should be spooled. Defining a Job as "to
> > disk" per default, but enabling spooling when running the same job to
> > tape, is quite sensible.
> >
> > The attached patch
> > a) adds a "spooldata={yes|1|no|0}" to the run statement on the bconsole
> > CLI
> > b) adds a "Spool data" "mod" option (number 9)
>
> I would say that it's a good idea to keep this menu simple as possible...
> Spooling or not a job depending on the time, the weather, or maybe the new
> american president is a quite advance feature. (i like it, i've added this
> option in other bacula places). But, i prefere keep this option only for
> command line.
>
> What do you think ?
> [...]
> > c) displays the current "Spooling: {yes|no}" in the
> > display_job_parameters function

I neither need nor wish this "mod" option. It would be absolutely fine for me
not to offer this.

Nonetheless, I think it is a good idea to _display_ a configuration modified
by the run arguments (which resulted in my "c)"). It is also a good idea to
be able to modify configuration items that are displayed there (why else
would I display them, after all?), which resulted in implementing (b).

The simplicity you request is absolutely a valid point; on the other hand, I
think that all other central options of jobs can be modified in that menu.
Spooling _is_ a central option in some scenarios.

I will be happy to see only a) going upstream :)) As I said, I do not need b)
and c)

Thx & Best regards
   Bastian

--
Collax GmbH . Burkheimer Straße 3 . 79111 Freiburg . Germany
p: +49 (0) 761-45684-28

Geschäftsführer: William K. Hite / Boris Nalbach
AG München HRB 158898 . Ust.-IdNr: DE 814464942
\ I'm not paranoid! Which of my enemies told you this?