Re: [Bacula-devel] Current beta stable enough?

On Thursday 30 October 2008 14:38:58 Berend Dekens wrote:
> I read in the release notes that the current 2.5.x beta does not require
> a change in the database but is it stable enough for actual use? I want
> to use the Copy Job feature of the new version which means I only need
> to update the SD and DIR of the backup system, correct?
>
> If it is not considered stable enough for production use (I mean if the
> base behavior is stable I'll take my chances with the copy job type - if
> its considered highly unstable I'll wait for the next stable).

As our release indicated, we do not recommend it for production use -- at
least not for heavy production.  It is beta software.  There are people using
it including myself.  You must make your own choice.

Unless you are very technically competent, I definitely recommend against just
pulling stuff from the SVN -- some people, including myself do it, but you
can end up with a broken Bacula.   Anyone who sticks with a beta release at
least has the assurance that we consider it stable within a development and
beta context.

Regards,

Kern