Re: [Bacula-devel] Patches

On Monday 27 October 2008 21:48:18 David Boyes wrote:

> > > 2nd option is to package the source diffs into RPM and APT, and
>
> provide
>
> > > those via a repository. Applying a diff is a fairly simple
>
> operation,
>
> > > and people who care about most recent binaries can do rpmbuild -bb
>
> on
>
> > > their own systems easily enough if the source is correctly packaged.
> > >
> > > Coming up with a source patch RPM and APT template isn't rocket
>
> science,
>
> > > and it's basic support discipline to not release applications or
>
> updates
>
> > > that circumvent the software management system if there is one.
>
> This approach also gives you prereq control for source updates as well
> as versioning, which is a Very Good Thing for commercial delivery.

Packaging source diffs into RPM and APT packages is really a community issue
so it will need to be discussed there.  I think they are already doing a lot.
Other than the Win32 binaries, I don't build any binaires.

Within Bacula Systems, I do not think we will be releaseing source diff RPM
and APT packages, but rather re-certified binaries, which is part of the
value added that we want to provide.  To do that requires a certain manpower,
hence salaries and income to pay the salaries, but I expect we can get there
rather rapidly.

Regards,