[Bacula-devel] Implementation of acls and extended attributes

Hi,

Before I continue making changes to bacula I was wondering what the
global consensus is on certain aspects which are on the projects list of
bacula.

Most people might not know me and I must say that I started using Bacula
about 2 months ago. From then on I pushed some changes back to Kern
which got integrated just recently. Most important ones are

- libtool support for supporting shared libs with the bacula common
  functions (like the libbac, libbacfind and libbacsql)
- support for copy jobs that help for disk-to-disk-to-tape backups
  (implemented in bacula as the pooluncopiedjobs copy job
   which implements a SQL query first send to the bacula list by
   Ulrich Leodolter)
- Legato compatibility with support for add and delete keyword when
  selecting the files to restore.
- Support for the new libsec interface in Solaris 10 and higher which
  make it possible to backup and restore ZFS/NFSv4 type of acls on
  Solaris (which is important as Solaris is moving to ZFS for most
  systems either sooner or later). This patch makes sure you don't get
  zillions of errors in your log when enabling acl support on a zfs
  filesystem.

My main interest in Bacula comes from a personal need to have a solid
backup on my mostly Solaris based environment. So I mainly focus on
Solaris specific items. That's also one of the reasons my main
contributions until now have been on either generic or Solaris specific
patches.

But when looking at something that might give me something TODO the next
weeks I have been looking through the projects list in the current devel
version. I'm looking into things that I find myself interesting and are
not to big to implement in a couple of weeks. Some thing that I find
interesting and is not directly Solaris based is implementing extended
attributes backup. (To be honest I think its mostly Linux and xBSD)

The current entry in the projects file lists this:

Item: Store and restore extended attributes, especially
      selinux file contexts