Re: [Bacula-devel] Fwd: [Bacula-users] Unlimited Retention

On Thursday 23 October 2008, Dan Langille said something like:
> FYI
>
> Begin forwarded message:
> > From: LeJav <lejav@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> > Date: October 23, 2008 4:10:25 AM EDT
> > To: bacula-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > Subject: [Bacula-users] Unlimited Retention
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > Here is my problem: I want to backup my system with normal strategy
> >  (full every week, incremental, retention....), but I have also
> > data on
> >  this server that I want to archive indefinitely (without
> > retention). To do that, i declared first retention period for this
> > job as 100 years.
> > But it did not work.
> > Investigating in source code, I found that:
> >
> > ua_prune.c
> >   period = client->FileRetention;
> >   now = (utime_t)time(NULL);
> >
> >   /* Select Jobs -- for counting */
> >   Mmsg(query, count_select_job, edit_uint64(now - period, ed1),
> >        edit_int64(cr.ClientId, ed2));
> >   Dmsg3(050, "select now=%u period=%u sql=%s\n", (uint32_t)now,
> >               (uint32_t)period, query.c_str());
> >
> > and : time() returns the time since the Epoch (00:00:00 UTC,
> > January 1, 1970), measured in seconds.
> > for instance, today, now = 1224742378 = 38.8 years
> > this means that if i set a retention > 39 years, now-period will be
> > negative,
> >  and then a very very big number in unsigned int64, so jobs will be
> > always pruned

That's funny...that must be the exact but I was hitting while trying to
set my retention to 100 years.  Thanks for finding this!  I too have
turned off auto-pruning. :)

Joshua Kugler
Part-Time System Admin/Programmer
http://www.eeinternet.com