[Bacula-devel] [Bacula-users] Feature Request #26

    cameron.ord> Status: New request

    cameron.ord> What: A directive something like "IncludeConf  = /etc/bacula/subconfs"
    cameron.ord>       Every time Bacula Director restarts or reloads, it will walk the given directory (non-recursively) and include the contents of any files therein, as though they were appended to bacula-dir.conf

    cameron.ord> Why: Permits simplified and safer configuration for larger installations with many client PCs.
    cameron.ord>       Currently, through judicious use of JobDefs and similar directives, it is possible to reduce the client-specific part of a configuration to a minimum.
    cameron.ord>       The client-specific directives can be prepared according to a standard template and dropped into a known directory.  However it is still necessary to
    cameron.ord>       add a line to the "master" (bacula-dir.conf) referencing each new file.
    cameron.ord>       This exposes the master to unnecessary risk of accidental mistakes and makes automation of adding new client-confs, more difficult
    cameron.ord>       (it is easier to automate dropping a file into a dir, than rewriting an existing file).
    cameron.ord>       Ken has previously made a convincing argument for NOT including Bacula's core configuration in an RDBMS, but I believe that the present request is a reasonable
    cameron.ord>       extension to the current "flat-file-based" configuration philosophy.

    cameron.ord> Notes: There is NO need for any special syntax to these files.
    cameron.ord>        They should contain standard directives which are  simply "inlined" to the parent file as already happens when you explicitly reference an external file.

At least if your director is running on a UNIX/Linux box (I don't
know about Windows), you can already accomplish your goal of not
having to modify the root bacula-dir.conf file to add a new
client, though it requires using the "@|" syntax added in Bacula
2.0 and a little script-fu (perhaps you are already aware of this
option, and suggesting that Bacula would benefit from having a
simpler method of accomplishing the same goal).

The bacula-dir.conf at our site contains these lines:

   #
   # Include subfiles associated with configuration of clients.
   # They define the bulk of the Clients, Jobs, and FileSets.
   #
   @|"sh -c 'for f in /etc/bacula/clientdefs/*.conf ; do echo @${f} ; done'"

and when we get a new client, we just put its configuration into
a new file called something like:

  /etc/bacula/clientdefs/clientname.conf

and issue "reload" in bconsole.

This is mentioned in the Wiki (search for "@|" in