[Bacula-devel] Trying out the virtual disk changer feature.

Hello,
Going back a couple of months, there was this short exchange:

On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 10:49:50AM +0200, Kern Sibbald wrote:
> On Friday 15 August 2008 10:36:36 Graham Keeling wrote:
> > It would be nice if it did let you read/write to the same storage if it
> > were possible - as it is in my case, as I am exclusively using disk-based
> > storage.
>
> Unfortunately it is not possible to read and write to the same device,
> because on a tape it is just impossible, and on a disk, it requires two I/O
> packets.
>
> The above said, it is possible to read and write to the same disk directory
> providing the volumes are different.  This is most easily accomplished by
> using something such as the virtual disk changer (disk-changer script), which
> provides two or more virtual drives.  It is probably also possible by using
> the virtual disk device, which is a sort of automatic disk changer, but I
> don't use that code, so I hesitate to recommend it.

I've been trying to get the disk-changer script to work for me, looking at
the virtual backup regression tests for clues.

Unless I'm wrong, it seems that you can't just schedule jobs and let it get on
with it, filling up the slots with data and switching between them, as you
have to manually enter commands to load, unload and label the slots.

I've also tried to find out what you mean by 'the virtual disk device', but
I'm not able to find anything. Is there any documentation about this anywhere?

Thanks for any help,
Graham.