Re: [Bacula-devel] Alternative DB proposal

2008/10/14 Kern Sibbald <kern@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
> On Tuesday 14 October 2008 10:06:22 Yuri Timofeev wrote:
>> >
>> > That is what I understood too, but I wanted to get a confirmation.
>> >
>> > If it is indeed the case that the new case runs faster, it is indeed odd,
>> > and I would say the tester has fallen into a very trap that is very
>> > common in performance analysis.
>>
>> Of course, this is only the first test!
>> I think that will soon be able to hold a series of tests.
>> I just limiting the number of entries from 10M to 5M (very long wait)
>
> Yes, clearly running something 10 times is not very practical if it takes 35
> hours each time, so the test size must be reduced, and you can reduce the
> number of runs from 10 to say 5.
>
> However, what was not at all evident from your first post is that there are
> apparently subtle differences in schemas that I did not see and differences
> in the size of the data you were inserting -- and those could possibly
> explain a large (or even all)  the difference in timings.

In an alternative scheme appear new fields : size, ctime, mtime.
I therefore reduced length the value that is inserted into the field LStat.

For the old scheme, I used :
char *lstat = "MI s9MB IG0 B H2 H0 A 9t BAA I BIVsDs BIR93m BIVqaC A A E";

and for the new scheme:
char *lstat = "MI s9MB IG0 B H2 H0 A 9t BAA I";

But it is not entirely correct.

In an alternative scheme2 appear new fields : size, ctime, mtime, _atime_.

The new version of the tests, I did as correctly:
char *lstat = "MI s9MB IG0 B H2 H0 A 9t BAA I BIVsDs BIR93m BIVqaC A A
E"; /* for traditional scheme */
char *lstat    = "MI s9MB IG0 B H2 H0 A BAA I BIVsDs BIR93m BIVqaC";
/* for new scheme */

Therefore, in alternative scheme the length of lstat reduced.
That is right?

--
with best regards