Re: [Bacula-devel] Virtual Full time/date bug?

On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 06:34:16PM +0200, Kern Sibbald wrote:
> On Monday 13 October 2008 16:56:34 Graham Keeling wrote:
> > First:
> > a) Set the time forward a year, to be 2009.
> > b) Run a Full backup.
> > c) Run an Incremental backup.
> > d) Set the time to be the real time again.
> > e) Try to run an Incremental backup.
> >
> > The last incremental backup fails. The log says:
> > ... JobId 4: Fatal error: Cannot find previous jobids.
> >
> > OK, that is fair enough.
> > But since there were no previous jobs, I would have expected it to be
> > promoted up to a Full backup.
> >
> > This promotion happens when you run an
> > Incremental without having any other jobs at all, so I don't really
> > understand why it doesn't in this case.
>
> This is a Virtual Full Job.  That means that it never contacts the client,
> and if it were promoted to a Full, it would contact the client.  I think the
> current behavior is correct, though I will change the Error message to say:
>
> "No previous Jobs found."

Sorry, but this isn't a Virtual Full that I'm running. It is an Incremental.

> > Secondly:
> > Continuing from the first five steps as set out above...
> > f) Run another Full backup.
> > g) Run another Incremental backup.
> > h) Run a Virtual Full backup.
> >
> > This seems to work fine, but when I do a 'list jobs' and check the dates,
> > the Virtual Full has now got the start time of the Incremental that was
> > created in step (c) above.
> > 'list jobs' looks like this (tidied up a bit for ease of reading):
> >
> > +-------+-------+---------------------+-------+----------+----------+
> > | JobId | Name  | StartTime           | Level | JobFiles | JobBytes |
> > +-------+-------+---------------------+-------+----------+----------+
> > | 3     | tserv | 2008-10-13 15:30:31 | F     |      533 |  774,718 |
> > | 4     | tserv | 2008-10-13 15:31:08 | I     |        7 |  304,512 |
> > | 1     | tserv | 2009-10-13 15:29:19 | F     |      532 |  751,430 |
> > | 2     | tserv | 2009-10-13 15:30:12 | I     |       11 |  308,112 |
> > | 5     | tserv | 2009-10-13 15:30:12 | F     |      533 |  868,913 |
> > +-------+-------+---------------------+-------+----------+----------+
>
> If you mess up your Start Time, then when Bacula looks at the records, it is
> going to assume that the database is correct and get "incorrect" results.
> Given the time stamps above, I would say that it did the right thing; it set
> the Virtual Full to the time of the last Incremental backup.
> > I put some debug in in order to dump the .bsr file from the Virtual Full,
> > so I can confirm that it did use the 2008 jobs. So the problem appears to
> > be that it is just setting the date wrong.

I think it did the wrong thing, as it consolidated the 2008 backups, and set
the time to the last 2009 backup.
The right thing would have been either:

a) consolidate the 2008 backups, and set the time to the last 2008 backup, or
b) consolidate the 2009 backups, and set the time to the last 2009 backup.

Actually, I don't really understand why it is changing the time on the
Virtual Full at all. Is there a reason why it can't just keep the real time
that the Virtual Full started?

Thanks,
Graham.