Re: [Bacula-devel] Virtual Full time/date bug?

On Monday 13 October 2008 16:56:34 Graham Keeling wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 11:03:17AM +0200, Kern Sibbald wrote:
> > In the future, it would be helpful if you would at a minimum change the
> > title.
>
> OK, sorry about that.
>

> I've found more behaviours that I don't expect, though things are getting
> better! :)
>
> First:
> a) Set the time forward a year, to be 2009.
> b) Run a Full backup.
> c) Run an Incremental backup.
> d) Set the time to be the real time again.
> e) Try to run an Incremental backup.
>
> The last incremental backup fails. The log says:
> ... JobId 4: Fatal error: Cannot find previous jobids.
>
> OK, that is fair enough.
> But since there were no previous jobs, I would have expected it to be
> promoted up to a Full backup.
>
> This promotion happens when you run an
> Incremental without having any other jobs at all, so I don't really
> understand why it doesn't in this case.

This is a Virtual Full Job.  That means that it never contacts the client, and
if it were promoted to a Full, it would contact the client.  I think the
current behavior is correct, though I will change the Error message to say:

"No previous Jobs found."

> Secondly:
> Continuing from the first five steps as set out above...
> f) Run another Full backup.
> g) Run another Incremental backup.
> h) Run a Virtual Full backup.
>
> This seems to work fine, but when I do a 'list jobs' and check the dates,
> the Virtual Full has now got the start time of the Incremental that was
> created in step (c) above.
> 'list jobs' looks like this (tidied up a bit for ease of reading):
>
> +-------+-------+---------------------+-------+----------+----------+
>
> | JobId | Name  | StartTime           | Level | JobFiles | JobBytes |
>
> +-------+-------+---------------------+-------+----------+----------+
>
> | 3     | tserv | 2008-10-13 15:30:31 | F     |      533 |  774,718 |
> | 4     | tserv | 2008-10-13 15:31:08 | I     |        7 |  304,512 |
> | 1     | tserv | 2009-10-13 15:29:19 | F     |      532 |  751,430 |
> | 2     | tserv | 2009-10-13 15:30:12 | I     |       11 |  308,112 |
> | 5     | tserv | 2009-10-13 15:30:12 | F     |      533 |  868,913 |

If you mess up your Start Time, then when Bacula looks at the records, it is
going to assume that the database is correct and get "incorrect" results.
Given the time stamps above, I would say that it did the right thing; it set
the Virtual Full to the time of the last Incremental backup.