Re: [Bacula-devel] Bacula Status

On Monday 06 October 2008 15:42:27 Dan Langille wrote:
> On Oct 6, 2008, at 5:33 AM, Kern Sibbald wrote:

> >> I agree.

> >> in that case, I think it would be natural to allow:
> >>
> >> Include {
> >>  Dirs Containing = .please_back_me_up
> >> }
> >
> > Unfortunately, a "Dirs Containing" within an Include section is not
> > possible.
> > Without going into all the details, simply try to imagine an
> > algorithm to
> > implement -- not possible, IMO.
>
> Thinking about it only briefly, it becomes difficult to do because the
> sysadmin
> needs to put such a file in every parent directory from the root of
> the File Set
> entries down to the directory required to backup.

Also, what Directories should be included?  Should Bacula search the system
and look for every directory that exists in the root (or on each of the Win32
lettered devices) and then check in that directory?  That is not the way that
Bacula currently works.

> The could would need to look at the Root of the File Set entry to see
> if there
> is a .please_back_me_up file.  If none, stop recursing.
>
> But seriously, I don't think this one makes much sense to implement.
> Bacula
> has other ways to implement the same thing.

I agree -- unless someone can figure out some new magic that I am not aware
of ...

Thanks for your comments.