Re: [Bacula-devel] Alternative DB structures-Porposal

David Boyes wrote:
> Umm, not on the OSes I mentioned. If you fstat the file or read the
> directory inode with Unix compatibility on, the underlying OS reads the
> file once to determine the actual file size in bytes to fill into the
> file stat structure in order to be compatible with the assumption that
> files are streams of bytes. You then get to do it again to get the
> actual data blocks.
>
> Reading a 20 TB file twice is nontrivial. I have LOTS of files that
> large, and a few that will grow into exabyte-scale in the not too
> distant future.

I think we should just exclude those from consideration. What exactly,
can we back up a exabyte file to? A billion CD's!

If you must use bacula, for your (very much smaller 20Tb files) then do
nothing
On those systems, you don't have a filesize for the reasons given. But
you  already don't a have a filesize,
so adding a size field to the catalogue changes nothing. Set it to zero
or the number of blocks or something.

--John