Re: [Bacula-devel] Alternative DB structures-Porposal

Kern Sibbald <kern@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> There is one important point that I would like to bring up, and that
> is that Bacula writes the attributes record (which contains the
> LStat) before it backs up the file (i.e. before it reads the file).
> This is because on the restore side, the File daemon needs the
> attributes record (parts of the LStat) in order to create the file.

thanks, Kern, for your timely correction.  I forgot to think about
what's actually stored on tape...

> So if you want to calculate the file size and somehow save it at the
> end of the backup, that is possible (that is the way the MD5 works),
> but it would require some change to the current algorithm.

right, that is much simpler, since the MD5 sum only goes to the
catalog.  the same would be true for an added size column, BTW.

the problem with avoiding the need for an fstat() before commencing
the backup is something I'm happy to leave to whoever wishes to port
Bacula to z/OS or OpenVMS. :-)

--
regards,          | Redpill  _
Kjetil T. Homme   | Linpro  (_)