Re: [Bacula-devel] Bacula Status

On Saturday 04 October 2008 18:29:54 Marc Schiffbauer wrote:
> * Kern Sibbald schrieb am 04.10.08 um 16:26 Uhr:
> > Hello Marc,
>
> Hello Kern,
>
> > I am sorry, but from what you wrote below, I really am not sure what you
> > like and what you do not like.
>
> I did not want to confuse you ;)
> I assumed that things like WildDir work in Include as well as in
> Exclude sections... which is wrong. I confused the things a bit, sorry.

No, they only work in the Options sections.  No need to be sorry.

> Please read on.
>
> > There are two things that need to be decided separately:
> >
> > 1. Where to place the directive
> >     - Options section
> >     - Include section
> >     - Exclude section
>
> I think this depends on how the directive will work / what you can
> do with it:
>
> If you could use it similar to wilddir for example, than it could
> be used to include as well as to exclude directories (exclude=yes)
> and then it would be best to have the new directive in the Options
> section, right?

I am not the author of the code, so I would have to look at it in detail, but
my understanding is that it only works in the Include section.

> These examples show how it would work then:
> ######################################################
> # use control file to exclude dirs:
> Include {
>   Options {
>     Ignore Dir = .no_backup
>     Exclude=yes
>   }
>   File = /
> }
>
> or
>
> # use control file to include dirs:
> Include {
>   Options {
>     Ignore Dir = .please_back_me_up
>   }
>   Options {
>     RegExFile = ".*"
>     Exclude = yes
>   }
>   File = /
> }
> ######################################################
>
> If it will be to much work or not worth the work to put it into the
> Options section than I would vote for having it in the Exclude
> section as this new directive is about excluding dirs:
>
> FileSet {
>   Name = xxx
>   Include {
>   }
>   Exclude {
>     Ignore Dir = .no_backup
>   }
> }
>
> because this directive is about excluding directories and not
> including then.
>
> > 2. The name of the option.
> >
> > The name of the directive clearly can be different depending on the
> > section it goes in.
>
> Yes.
>
> We might try some brainstorming here:
>
> # Options section:
>   Options {
>
>     Ignore Control File  = .no_backup
>     Exclude Control File = .no_backup
>     Ignore Flag File     = .no_backup
>     Exclude Flag File    = .no_backup
>     Ignore Dir Flag File = .no_backup
>   }
>

> # Exclude section:
>   Exclude {
>     Control File = .no_backup
>     Flag File    = .no_backup
>   }
>
> > Note: the current code that is implemented is probably not suitable to go
> > in the Options section.  I would need to examine this in more detail to
> > be sure.
>
> Ok.
>
> I am not (yet?) familiar with the bacula source. Otherwise I would
> have examined this already :-/

Well, as it stands, I can quite easily change the name of the directive, but
concerning moving it around I am not sure.  If it is trivial (less than 10
minutes) of work, I will consider it (i.e. I will take a look at it but
promise nothing).  However, things such as adding new options or
functionality, you will need to talk to the author -- we still have a lot of
work ahead of us to test and finish implementation of the existing code.

Regards,

Kern