Re: [Bacula-devel] Bacula Status

03.10.2008 20:22, Kern Sibbald wrote:
> Hello,
>
> It is not too late to change the name of the directive, but I would like to
> see some discussion/input on this.  Although I don't have any strong
> attachment to "Ignore Dir",  I think I personally prefer it to "Exclude Flag
> File", which will be harder for me to remember.

"Ignore Dir" is misleading... it sounds like the mentioned directory
should not be backed up. "Exclude Flag File" seems more correct... but
how about "Veto File"? Should sound familiar to anyone who uses samba
(though it does something else...), and the directive seems to
describe what it does quite good (but I'm not a native speaker...).

Arno

> Comments?
>
> Best regards,
>
> Kern
>
> On Friday 03 October 2008 19:19:07 Marc Schiffbauer wrote:
>> * Dan Langille schrieb am 02.10.08 um 23:02 Uhr:
>>
>> Hi Dan,

>>> Recursive?
>>>
>>> As in 'ignore this directory' but take all its children?
>>>
>>> Sorry, that's not an ignore.  ;)
>> Full ack, but just to be 100% sure ;)
>>
>>> Point taken though.  It reduces the number of questions.
>> yes, thanks.
>>
>>> But regardless, if people are so inclined, hunting down the text
>>> and supplying a patch helps a great deal.
>> Yes, I used to do that. Sorry that I did not this time.

>>> FWIW, you can name the file anything you want.
>> I did not mean the value of the directive but the name of the
>> directive itself.
>>
>> Everywhere in the FileSet in Bacula you use the word "Exclude" when
>> dealing with files that will not be backed up. So I suggest to
>> follow this terminology instead of introducing a synonym.
>> I think this will increase usability.
>>
>> So I think
>>
>>   Exclude Flag File = .no_backup
>>
>> would be more intuitive about what it does than
>>
>>   Ignore Dir = .no_backup
>>

>> Also I think because of using the word 'Dir' many people would expect
>> this to be a directory which will be ignored and will try something
>> like this:
>>
>>   Ignore Dir = /tmp
>>
>> will will be nonsense of course ;)
>>
>> -Marc