From: Kern Sibbald [mailto:kern@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thu 9/25/2008 8:57 PM
To: Josh Fisher
Cc: Riyas Y.; bacula-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Bacula-devel] bacula client for win 64bit needed

On Thursday 25 September 2008 16:10:47 Josh Fisher wrote:
> Kern Sibbald wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > On Thursday 25 September 2008 12:09:11 Riyas Y. wrote:

> >> In the latest Bacula source code the Visual Studio Configuration has
> >> fallen out of sync and taking a 64 bit build in windows using Visual
> >> Studio is not as easy..
> >
> > Yes, keeping the Visual Stuido synchronized is not easy -- that is one
> > reason why we stopped using it.  It required a lot of manual work then
> > building the release was manual, which is why we switched to
> > cross-compiling.
> >
> > It looks like finding someone that can work on the 64 bit cross-compiling
> > is really needed.
>
> Using what toolchain?

We use the GNU and mingw cross tools.  The most important piece is the GNU C++
compiler, and the version we are using produces only 32 bit cross compiled
code.   I am not sure of the details, whether it is a different version of
the g++ compiler or a newer version that has an option for producing 64 bit
Windows output.

The whole process is described in src/win32/README.mingw32.

It is really quite easy to build the current Win32 version of Win32 on Linux,
and it is almost trivial to setup a build environment on any Linux machine
that does it.