Re: [Bacula-devel] Alternative DB structures-Porposal

On Wednesday 01 October 2008 19:56:54 Kjetil Torgrim Homme wrote:
> "David Boyes" <dboyes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> > Partially, but I've been working on USS on z/OS and OpenVMS Bacula
> > clients, where the filesystems are block oriented rather than byte
> > oriented. One *can* obtain a precise dataset size in bytes, but the
> > cost is reading the entire file to determine where the file data
> > actually ends, which is very expensive on terabyte- or
> > petabyte-scale datasets.
>
> Bacula *must* read the entire file in order to back it up, so the
> exact byte count is known with no extra cost.
>
> > It also doesn't really take sparse files or structured files (like
> > VMS indexed datasets or VSAM data spaces) into account very well, so
> > if this proposal is added to the "standard" Bacula database
> > structure, you will encounter problems when you deal with these
> > platforms (or anything more complicated than a simple sequential
> > file).
>
> as Kern mentions, Bacula already has code which expects a simple byte
> count to be sufficient to describe the size of an object.  as a Unix
> person, it is very hard for me to imagine a data object whose byte
> count can not be summed up.

I am not arguing on either side of this issue at this point, but ...

There is one important point that I would like to bring up, and that is that
Bacula writes the attributes record (which contains the LStat) before it
backs up the file (i.e. before it reads the file).  This is because on the
restore side, the File daemon needs the attributes record (parts of the
LStat) in order to create the file.

So if you want to calculate the file size and somehow save it at the end of
the backup, that is possible (that is the way the MD5 works), but it would
require some change to the current algorithm.

Regards,

Kern