Re: [Bacula-devel] bacula client for win 64bit needed

Hello,

On Thursday 25 September 2008 11:19:38 Andres Moya wrote:
> Hello.
> Maybe i wrong writing to developer mailing list. Sorry. I grep internet
> about this problem, and I only seen here that some
> people was able to compile bacula for win2008 64bit: Riyas Y. Fri, 08
> Aug 2008 03:19:51 -0700: "Yesterday 64bit client was tested on 64 bit
> windows server 2008, VSS was found to be working fine." I badly needed
> it because in my case i unable to backup system with VSS support then
> using 32bit binaries. Without VSS some system files not backed up as
> they locked by operation system.

Yes, clearly some solution to this problem is needed.

> Well, i think restoring such backup will result in damaged operation
> system and databases files. Going to backup by native tools of windows,
> and then backup this backups once again by Bacula :(
>
> Can any one share that successfully compiled binaries?

Well, the people who built the 64 bit version of Windows sent us the small
patch that was needed because Microsoft's 64 bit API is not compatible with
the 32 bit API, and we have put that patch into Bacula.

However, they did not send us the build procedure they use (hopefully they
will).  So at this point, our binaries are still 32 bit.

I will be exploring in the next month or so the possibility of either making
our 32 bit version interface to the appropriate 64 bit VSS API, or finding a
way to build a 64 bit version.   Hopefully before then, someone will come
forward with a 64 bit binary.

> We are ruining virtualized servers, can provide any testing platform

Thanks, I will keep you in mind for testing ...