Re: [Bacula-devel] bls and DVD (Windows Version)

Dear Kern,
thanks for the response. It was not my intention to use DVDs as a general backup media, so I agree in principal with your statements about DVDs. Normally I wrote my backup and archives on LTO Tapes but in the case of archiving data I don't like the idea to insert tapes with already archived data again for additional writing. On the other hand normal archive chunks are much smaller than the capacity of a LTO tape. So the "one tape one archive" concept is from my point of view not the best. My idea was it to use DVD for smaller archive jobs. The biggest problem seams to be my problem of "sharing data" with other partners because it is not likely that all partners have Bacula running (I am sure it will be more because I like the idea behind Bacula ;-) ). And in most cases our partners without Bacula use Windows and not *nix. So my idea was it to write data to one or more DVDs, send this to a partner (without a running Bacula) and the partner can restore the data with bls and co. on every supported platform. Maybe this is scenario is out of scope but I like this idea. Anyway I think your workaround with the files could work for us, thanks

Kind Regards,

Marco

Kern Sibbald schrieb:
Hello,

I am sorry to be slow in responding, but I don't have much choice these days. I see you are probably the reporter of the bug on this same subject.

I regret, but currently we only support the FD on Win32. It turns out that the Dir and the SD appear to work reasonably well. However, I think it is *very* unlikely that anything using DVD on Windows will work because as far as I know the tools that Bacula uses to read/write the DVD have not been ported to Win32, so you are pretty much out of luck.

In any case, I would strongly recommend against using DVD as it is a very unreliable medium. If you must use it, then I suggest writing to disk volumes and limiting their size to fit on a DVD, and when the Volume is full, "manually" write it to a DVD, and if you later want to restore from it, then copy it back onto the disk. It is not a very automatic way of working, but it is the best we can offer at the moment.

As you will learn in the next few days, we have created a company that will provide professional support and development services to Bacula users, so I hope that in the future through corporate development projects, we will be able to fund a Windows developer to fix some of the missing functionality on Windows.