Re: [Bacula-devel] bad sql??

To cut to the chase on this.
It really needs someone to try and do what he seems to have done and see what, if any, issues arise.

Since I build from source (gentoo) , I volunteer.

I'll pick up on this next week I hope.

--John

Kern Sibbald wrote:
On Thursday 18 September 2008 20:08:27 Dan Langille wrote:

Kern Sibbald wrote:

On Thursday 18 September 2008 17:23:06 Dan Langille wrote:

Kern Sibbald wrote:

On Thursday 18 September 2008 15:40:04 Dan Langille wrote:

resending, with CC to list.

John Huttley wrote:

https://people.planetpostgresql.org/xzilla/index.php?/archives/360-Ba
cu la
,-Sqlite,-Postgres...-when-good-tools-go-horribly-horribly-wrong.html

John: whenever people post a URL without commenting up on it, I always
ask them for their comments upon it.

John: What do you think?

and FYI, no, it is not bad SQL.

I agree, and SQLite is doing the correct thing not to quote the table
names.

Dan: do you think we could ease database conversion problems such as
this one by changing the make_postgresql_tables script to define the
table names using Bacula standard capitalization?

I think the best thing to do is to stop using capitalization altogether.
  Go lower case.

That is not a solution will work for Bacula. First it would require
*massive* changes in Bacula source code. Second, a good number of studies
show that using either _ in variable names or using capitalization of the
parts significantly improves the readability.

I hope there is a solution that will work everywhere.

The SQL standard says that "SELECT * FROM FOO" should be the same as
"SELECT * FROM foo"

In short,  FOO == Foo == foo <> "Foo"

 From what I understand, we're doing a lot of 'SELECT * FROM "Foo"'.

I think this is either a misunderstanding of what someone said, or someone is
mistaken about Bacula code.

If we stop putting quotes around the table and field names, that might
solve a lot of the issues.

Bacula *never*  puts quotes around a table or field names.  We single quote
only strings.  If there are any quoted names, which I seriously doubt, please
point them out to me, because I will instantly rip them out.  :-)