Re: [Bacula-devel] bad sql??

On Thursday 18 September 2008 22:46:04 John Huttley wrote:
> Actually I don't know what to think.
>
> its not, however, good press for bacula.
>
> No news may be good news,
> But some news is bad news!
>
> I do think that it needs to be  fixed

Quite honestly, I don't understand what needs to be fixed. As far as I know
the code in Bacula is correct and consistent as well as compatible with the
SQL standard, with possibly one small exception and that is that the
PostgreSQL tables are created all in lower case contrary to the other DB
table and the usage in the code.

>From what I understand of the SQL standard is that the table names are case
independent, which is true in PostgreSQL, and not in MySQL and if that is
true the way they are written them in Bacula is in line with the standard.

Concerning converting from one database to another, the explanation was not
clear enough for me to understand the problem.

> Kern says that it could need a 'massive' rewrite, really, though I don't
> think so.
> It may be in lots of funny places but should be fixable with a simple
> search and replace.

As I have mentioned above, as far as I am aware the current code is correct,
so there is no reason to make these massive changes, which would only reduce
the readability of the code.  My experience is that such massive changes
always introduce errors so it is not something to be lightly undertaken.

> The real issue is the DB's may need a conversion script to change the
> names. This is not the sort of thing than can be done in point release.
> So much is obvious.

Sorry, but  I don't understand either of the first two sentences above.

> The other thing I think is that the DB schema is umm... overly expedient.

I also do not understand what "overly expedient" means.

> I imagine speed was of critical importance when Kern was designing it.
>
> I do have a possible replacement, arising out work I did some years back.
>
> Let me start another  thread..

OK.

Regards,

Kern