Re: [Bacula-devel] bad sql??

On Thursday 18 September 2008 16:46:04 John Huttley wrote:
> The real issue is the DB's may need a conversion script to change the
> names. This is not the sort of thing than can be done in point release.
> So much is obvious.

actually the changes to an existing system would be pretty minmal, you
essentiall need ALTER TABLE commands to rename all columns/tables to lower
case (or quote everything, depending on the route taken).

this could be somewhat disruptive to external code written against a given
database though, so that might force you out of point release territory (not
sure what the criteria are)

> The other thing I think is that the DB schema is umm... overly expedient.
> I imagine speed was of critical importance when Kern was designing it.

Yeah, I've also noticed some discrepencies between the sqlite / postgres wrt
datatypes (integer vs. timestamp)... I need to dig into this a little further
but that seems bad... we can save that for another thread though.

--
Robert Treat