Re: [Bacula-devel] bad sql??

> Kern Sibbald wrote:

> >> I think the best thing to do is to stop using capitalization altogether.
> >>   Go lower case.
> >
> > That is not a solution will work for Bacula. First it would require
> > *massive* changes in Bacula source code. Second, a good number of studies
> > show that using either _ in variable names or using capitalization of the
> > parts significantly improves the readability.
>
> I hope there is a solution that will work everywhere.
>
> The SQL standard says that "SELECT * FROM FOO" should be the same as
> "SELECT * FROM foo"
>
> In short,  FOO == Foo == foo <> "Foo"
>
>  From what I understand, we're doing a lot of 'SELECT * FROM "Foo"'.
>
> If we stop putting quotes around the table and field names, that might
> solve a lot of the issues.

Actually I don't think your assesment here is correct. I have a feeling that
your actually doing a lot of  SELECT * FROM Foo, which in postgres becomes
SELECT * FROM foo and in Sqlite becomes SELECT * FROM Foo (which might look
nice but is completly broken from a sql standard point of view).

So... someone should look at the code and confirm that, because if you are
doing SELECT * FROM Foo, then there is no way to fix this without modifiying
the queries inside of bacula, which does up the bar considerably.

--
Robert Treat