Re: [Bacula-devel] What is VolIndex used for?

On Saturday 13 September 2008 16:47:59 Jesper Krogh wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I have this strang situation where my backup system in "some" jobs takes
> a huge time to spool to tape. Well actaully not the spooling, this is
> done in ordinary time, but updating the JobMedia table take 2.5 hours /
> 8GB.
>
> According to this SQLinvestigation it seems that the VolIndex counts way
> to fast on the faulty job.. What is VolIndex?
>
> http://rafb.net/p/AczW3V99.html
>
> 18435 => Well running job
> 18436 => Bad job.
>
> A histogram of the JobMedia table also indicates that something strange
> is going on:
> http://rafb.net/p/BThS3h86.html
>
> So what is VolIndex..

It is an ever increasing index (maybe not sequential) within a Job that
guarantees that the Director can retrieve the JobMedia records in the same
order they were inserted.

> can it be due to a hardware error that it counts
> too fast? Or what else?

If it is incrementing fast, then you have probably set Storage daemon's Device
directive "Maximum File Size" to a small value.  The default is 1GB, and it
determines the maximum size of a tape file  (not a filesystem file) on a
Volume.  There is at least one JobMedia record per "tape file" whether it be
on a tape Volume or a disk Volume.  Decreasing the value generates more
JobMedia records, and thus more overhead.

If you have more than a couple hundred JobMedia records per JobId you have
something seriously wrong -- Probably Maximum File Size.

Regards,

Kern