Re: [Bacula-devel] Bacula config generator/parser?

On 04.09.2008, at 18:05, Kern Sibbald wrote:

> Hello,
>
> From what you have written, it is a bit hard to understand what you
> are trying
> to do.  It sounds like you are mixing or confusing the Bacula
> database and
> the various daemon conf files.  There is no direct relation between
> the two.
> The data that is available in the Bacula conf files for the Director
> is only
> partially kept in the db and it is not possible to reconstruct
> proper conf
> files from the database.

I am not dealing the Bacula database. I created a frontend for the
Bacula conf files.
I am half way through with the generation of Bacula conf files.

> The syntax and semantics of the conf files is described in a good
> amount of
> detail in the manual, so it really should not be necessary to read
> lib/parse_conf.

That's where I hang around a lot lately :)
By the way - good job on keeping the docs updated. Bacula is the best
documented open source project I encounterd so far.

> Regards,
>
> Kern

Stefan

> On Thursday 04 September 2008 16:02:42 Stefan Sorin Nicolin wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> I am working on a webbased configuration tool for Bacula written in
>> Ruby on Rails. As I am at the point where I have to generate a valid
>> configuration file and I am a bit clueless I thought I'd ask here for
>> some advice.
>> Did someone else had a go at generating (and preferably importing)
>> Bacula configuration files? I allready looked at lib/parse_conf but
>> this didn't help either(it's me lacking proper C skills). So far I
>> have the organized the ressources in different database tables and
>> named each db field after the directive. This will ease the
>> generation
>> part as I only have to crawl through the db and fetch the field name
>> and it's value. Still I am reluctant to do so as it doesen't feel
>> right - so my main question remains - it there any more generic way
>> handle such a situation (that would also imply the reverse - also
>> parsing config files)?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Stefan Sorin Nicolin
>> http://nicolinux.org
>>
>> ---
>> Unix guy, Mac head, Rails wannabe,
>> computer science alumnus, usability
>> guesspert and overall big time visionary

Stefan Sorin Nicolin
http://nicolinux.org

---