Re: [Bacula-devel] Bacula config generator/parser?

On 04.09.2008, at 16:07, Dan Langille wrote:

> Stefan Sorin Nicolin wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>> I am working on a webbased configuration tool for Bacula written
>> in  Ruby on Rails. As I am at the point where I have to generate a
>> valid  configuration file and I am a bit clueless I thought I'd ask
>> here for  some advice.
>
> FYI, I use Nagios.  Fruity (now Lilac) is a web-based configuration
> tool for Lilac.  It works well.  I've always thought a similar tool
> for Bacula would be good.  I hope you have a look at Fruity as a
> starting point.

I did but frankly I don't like it much. Usability wise it's bad
designed. Nagios has far too many features and Fruity tried to cram
very much in the user interface.

>> Did someone else had a go at generating (and preferably importing)
>> Bacula configuration files? I allready looked at lib/parse_conf
>> but  this didn't help either(it's me lacking proper C skills).
>
> Bacula already parses the configuration files itself. Perhaps that
> code might help.

It didn't but that's my fault :)

>> So far I  have the organized the ressources in different database
>> tables and  named each db field after the directive. This will ease
>> the generation  part as I only have to crawl through the db and
>> fetch the field name  and it's value. Still I am reluctant to do so
>> as it doesen't feel  right - so my main question remains - it there
>> any more generic way to  handle such a situation (that would also
>> imply the reverse - also  parsing config files)?
>
> What does Fruity do?
>
> I am pretty sure the latest version, Lilac, has an import.

I'll have a look. Thanks.

Stefan

> --
> Dan Langille
>
> BSDCan - The Technical BSD Conference : http://www.bsdcan.org/
> PGCon  - The PostgreSQL Conference:     http://www.pgcon.org/

Stefan Sorin Nicolin
http://nicolinux.org

---
Unix guy, Mac head, Rails wannabe,
computer science alumnus, usability
guesspert and overall big time visionary