Re: [Bacula-devel] small dbcheck patch for mysql

Yuri Timofeev wrote:
> 2008/9/9 Dan Langille <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>>> Algorithm:
>>> - when you specify "9) Check for orphaned Path records" or "10) Check
>>> for orphaned Filename records" :
>>> - verified the existence of the "one-column" index on the column
>>> PathId (or FilenameId)
>>> - if the index does not exist, then asked : "Create temporary index?
>>> (yes/no):"
>>> - after that dbcheck working as usual
>>> - temporary index removed.
>>>
>>> The patch is attached.
>>>
>>> What would you say?
>> Separate from the patch: suggest running some large backups, with and
>> without the index.  See the difference in the times for MySQL.  That may
>> help some people decide whether or not they want to run with the index all
>> the time.
>>

> Yes, and it is.
> If you answer "No" to the question "Create temporary index? (Yes /
> no):" it will not create indexes.

Let me rephrase.

- Add the index to your MySQL Bacula database
- run some backups
- time them
- Remove the index
- run the same backups
- time them
- compare

Is there a time difference when using the index?

There have been claims that this index adds significant overhead when it
is in the database permanently.  I was asking you if you could do these
tests.  My question is not related to your patch. :)

--
Dan Langille