Re: [Bacula-devel] exclude files by touching special file on client

On Tue, 2008-09-02 at 18:28 +0200, Kern Sibbald wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Yes, I remember this patch quite well, because (amazingly enough) I just
> finished the first cut of the documentation (a bit crude at the moment) for
> this feature, and it will be posted to the web site in a few minutes in the
> New Features chapter of the development manual.  The New Features chapter is
> near the beginning of the Bacula Concepts document.
>
> http://www.bacula.org/manuals/en/concepts/concepts/New_Features.html
>
> On Tuesday 02 September 2008 17:54:30 Ulrich Leodolter wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > i remember a patch on this (or users) list which
> > allows exclude on client side by touching special
> > files. e.g
> >
> > touch /private/.nobackup
> >
> > will exclude all files under /private
> >
> > the filename ".nobackup" could be specified by
> > server side config option.
> >

> > anyone remembers this patch?
> > is it in svn?
>
> Yes, the code is integrated into the trunk svn.  I no longer have the original
> patch, so if you want it, you will need to look through the developer's email
> list for the original email.  In fact, if I remember right, the patch was for
> the trunk.  At this time, we are not planning to back port it to 2.4.x since
> it requires a change of the protocol between the Director and the Client.
>
> You are, of course, welcome to try the trunk code, but it is not yet
> production ready.  However, within the next few weeks (once we have at least
> some minimal documentation), we are planning to release a beta version of
> this code (version 2.5.x) which appears to be quite stable.

thanks for the infos, i am running the svn trunk for a few months
doing "svn up" about every week.  i can confirm: it is quite stable.
maybe u remember i am also running a daily CopyDiskToTape job.

+-------+------------+-------------------+
| Jobs  | Files      | Bytes             |
+-------+------------+-------------------+
| 1,839 | 28,479,255 | 1,430,345,673,409 |
+-------+------------+-------------------+

this is our current client version list (redhat = centos :-)

2.5.3 (08Aug08) i686-pc-linux-gnu,redhat,Enterprise release  (director)
2.4.2 (26Jul08) i686-redhat-linux-gnu,redhat
2.5.3 (30Aug08) i686-pc-linux-gnu,debian,lenny/sid
2.4.2 (26Jul08) Linux,Cross-compile,Win32
2.2.7 (24Dec07) powerpc-apple-darwin8.11.0,darwin,8.11.0
2.4.2 (26Jul08) x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu,redhat
2.4.2 (26Jul08) i686-redhat-linux-gnu,redhat
2.4.2 (26Jul08) x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu,redhat
2.4.2 (26Jul08) i686-redhat-linux-gnu,redhat

i will try the IgnoreDir option.

what happens when IgnoreDir ist used in a common FileSet
definition which is also used by older (<2.5) clients ?

as soon as 2.5 is out we will use it (replacing emc networker)
for all our linux servers + linux mac win workstations.

any release plans for 2.5, maybe end of september?
(my chief is also waiting :-)

ulrich
--
Ulrich Leodolter <ulrich.leodolter@xxxxxxxx>