Re: [Bacula-devel] small mysql patch

On Wednesday 03 September 2008 08:22:31 Yuri Timofeev wrote:
> Hi
>
> 2008/8/31 Eric Bollengier <eric@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> > If you want to use new indexes with dbcheck, you can modify dbcheck.c in
> > this way :
> >  - ask to the user if he wants to add them (think about disk space)
> >  - add them + run analyse
> >  - run the cleanup operation
> >  - remove them
> >
> > FYI, postgresql can use composite indexes, so it will require less
> > indexes than mysql.
>
> It seems the problem appears only when working with MYSQL.
>
> I made a small program in order to make temporary index
> CREATE INDEX idxFJ  ON File (FileId, JobId);
> and then removes him.
>
> Now I little understand a  Bacula API. And there is one problem:
> my source code depends on the DBMS (MySQL).
> And I still do not know how it can be inserted in dbcheck.c
>

> If I write (in dbcheck.c) as follows:
>
> # ifdef HAVE_MYSQL
> / * My code uses bacula api * /
> # endif
>
> So it would be wrong, imho, or is this possible?
> Can you suggest any solution?

One of the principles of Bacula is that we do not permit code or features that
are database or operating systems dependent unless there is absolutely no way
to accomplish the task without it. All such code simply adds complexity and
future support problems.

Currently, there is no database dependent code in dbcheck, so it is *very*
uncertain that we would accept changes that add database dependencies or code
with #ifdefs.

I am not sure why you need to do something that is MySQL dependent, but before
you spend much time implementing it, I would recommend clearly discussing it
on this list -- particularly if you want to add any #ifdefs where they do not
currently exist.