Re: [Bacula-devel] Tokyo Cabinet DBM candidate for the accurate project

Hello,

On Friday 28 March 2008 00:16:11 Kern Sibbald wrote:
> I ran a small test of Tokyo Cabinet DBM compared to our htable routines.
>
> Inputting 5 million records to htable and then reading them all back takes
> 7.7 seconds, and uses up 240MB .
>
> Inputting 5 million records to TCDBM (using the same records as above) and
> reading them back takes 1 minute 33 seconds.

In our case, 1 or 2 minutes in a 5 million files backup is not such a too big
cost :) But during this time, the director have to lock the db connection...
so many things can be frozen.

Have you run this test with valid filename ?

> Using 1 million records, it runs in 8.8 seconds.
>
> So, it is a bit slower for at a million records, and quite a bit at 5
> million, but that can probably be tuned.  In those tests, I did tune it to
> use something like 40MB of memory.  In addition, it mallocs and frees each
> record returned.  He has calls to allow the records to be returned in our
> own buffers, so this would probably reduce the time a lot.

Yes, we can also probably skip some bucket re-allocation if we know in advance
how many files we have.

Bye