Re: [Bacula-devel] Windows bacula-fd abend during a backup.

On Thursday 27 March 2008 18:27:48 Bob Hetzel wrote:
> Kern,
>
> First, your theory that I hadn't fully understood the use of regular
> expressions is correct, of course!  The reason I was using them instead
> of Wild commands is because that section of the manual wasn't helpful
> enough to me.
>
> Specifically, I was looking for a way to exclude specific directory and
> file names that could be anywhere in the filesystem.  I now realize that
> to exclude the "Cache" folders I can use lines like...
>
> WildDir = "*/Cache"
>
> and for the files such as "thumbs.db"
> WildFile = "*/thumbs.db"
>
> (Windows XP creates the thumbs.db file all over the place and there's no
> reason I can see to back it up)
>
> Perhaps a note about this specific style of usage of WildDir and
> WildFile could be added to the docs.

Yes, it is clear that a lot more could be said in the manual. I myself am
really poor at regular expressions (there are whole books on them).

Anyway, now that you have probably figured this out quite well, if you could
send a few words that would have helped you, I will be glad to add them to
the manual.

> Additionally, the following example occurs in the doc page at
> http://www.bacula.org/en/rel-manual/Configuring_Director.html#FileSetResour
>ce
>
> RegexFile = ".*"
>
> Not being well versed in regular expressions, I tried to adapt that
> example line.
>
> My fileset definition got so long because I was trying to use a
> one-size-fits-all approach... the fact that I can do this at all is a
> major plus for bacula over other backup systems!  However, I'm aware
> that great caution must be used in doing this for a lot of different
> backup client computers.

Your experience is quite common -- unfortunately, it happens all the time with
programmers -- and in Bacula code too :-)

> Perhaps it would be good to put your note #2 (found below) in the docs
> as well.

Yes, good idea, I will do so.

Best of luck in figuring out regular expressions.  Don't over look the
possibility of using the "tools" referred to in the manual to testing them --
they are quite crude tools but at least they run Bacula's internal versions
of wildcards and regexes ...

Kern