[Bacula-devel] Tape Drives Race

Here a simpler way to reproduce the problem.
As a Reminder.
I am using 2 Tape Drives (without autochanger)
PREFER_MOUNTED_VOLUMES is set to NO for every JOB
There is only one POOL for every Job.

This is the Manual Approach, but the same can occur with scheduled Jobs.

I insert two valid, new or even recycled tapes in the two tape Drives.

Drive01 is mounted with Volume01

Drive02 is mounted with Volume02

I find the next Volume that Bacula would require for any Job related to
the Pool I am using.
I find out that Volume01 is the Next Volume to be use.

I try to start a Job, but before I start it, I make sure the Job will
use the Drive02 as Target Drive. Then Run.

***********Here the Problem 1***************
Altough I set the Flag for Prefer_Mounted_Volumes to NO, bacula Insists
and first attempts to get the Volume1.

Intervention Needed Please mount Volume01 on Drive02.

At this Point the Volume02 on Drive02 is not mounted anymore but is also
not unmounted. Bacula is waiting for some intervention anyway.
Because I know I set the flags so Bacula could accept Volume2 anyway, I
have to remount the Volume02 which is already on Drive02.
I can first unmount it and then mount it again.  Or I can directly just
mount it.  After that Bacula starts working normally since after mounting
the Volume02 BAcula knows that this is also a valid volume.

**************Here the Problem 2******************
After this condition, I found that Bacula did the same with the Volume01
mounted on Drive01.  The Tape is not mounted but also not unmounted.
If some Job started using this Drive, It would also first start with a
message *intervention needed, please mount a volume*, EVEN if the Job wanted
the volume01 which is already on the Drive.  Funny isn't it?

--
Christian Sabelmann
Hardwareentwickler

portrix.net GmbH
Stresemannstr. 375
22761 Hamburg
Germany
HRB 79850 (Amtsgericht Hamburg)
Geschäftsführer: Knud Alex Müller, Henning Voss, Niclas Schroeder

http://www.portrix.net