Re: [Bacula-devel] Accurate file project hash tables

At 13:59 26.3.2008, Kern Sibbald wrote:
>On Wednesday 26 March 2008 13:50:43 Peter Buschman wrote:
> > At 22:24 25.3.2008, Kern Sibbald wrote:
> > >We considered SQLite and rejected before starting the project because it
> > > is too big for what we need both in the size of the code and in its
> > >functionality.   SQL is not needed.
> >
> > I wasn't suggesting SQLite be used as-is.  Rather, I was thinking
> > out-loud and wondering if it contained a usable disk-based hashing
> > system within its codebase that might be liftable into Bacula.
> >
> > It sounds like Eric already researched and rejected that angle, however.
>
>Actually, that is a possibility that I hadn't thought about - thanks.  I will
>take a look at his code.  I think he makes a clean separation between the SQL
>stuff and the disk indexing (binary tree if I remember right).

I mention it only because I went through all of the SQLite
documentation over the weekend for another project.  The SQLite
engine appears to be heavily hash-based, especially for indexes and
unique constraints.  In fact, the earliest versions were built on
GDBM exclusively but that support has since been dropped. Whatever
they replaced it with must have been at least as good and is in the
public domain.  You're probably better qualified than I am to judge
if it is usable for Bacula though ;-)