Re: [Bacula-devel] Accurate file project hash tables

On Tuesday 25 March 2008 21:41:09 Jesper Krogh wrote:
> Kern Sibbald wrote:
> > Hello Eric,
> >
> > Background (somewhat simplified):
> > The Accurate delete/restore project (item #1) is now implemented (thanks
> > to Eric).  For it to work, the client machine must maintain a temporary
> > table supplied by the Director for each job. This table contains all the
> > files that are in the current backup from the Director's point of view at
> > the beginning of the job.  The table allows the FD to determine what
> > files have been added and/or deleted to/from the system that are not yet
> > saved (or deleted).
> >
> > As currently implemented this table is a hash table using the hash class
> > that I wrote 3 or 4 years ago for this particular project. It is fast and
> > efficient.
> >
> > Problem:
> > Currently the hash table is entirely kept in memory, which means the
> > client uses a rather huge amount of memory, which for systems with 10
> > million files will probably exceed even the largest amounts of RAM
> > currently used.  We would like to have some solution that allows the
> > number of files to grow to 20 million or more and still use less than 1GB
> > of RAM.
>
> I wont claim that my applications are programmed in a sane manner..  but
> my largest fileset currently contains 27m files. I would like to disable
> this feature if it kills my server.

You won't need to disable it; just don't use the option if you don't want it.

> Doesnt the bacula-directors restore-browser suffer from the excact same
> problem?

Yes, which is why I lean toward simply writing the data to a file - simple and
it will solve the problem for both cases without the enormous pains it always
takes when implementing pre-existing libraries with their portability
problems, license problems, and huge amounts of time spent correcting bugs in
unknown code.  Virtually all code that we have pulled into Bacula that was
pre-existing, with the exception of some system library code has created one
or more of those problems.