Re: [Bacula-devel] Accurate file project hash tables

Kern Sibbald wrote:
> Hello Eric,
>
> Background (somewhat simplified):
> The Accurate delete/restore project (item #1) is now implemented (thanks to
> Eric).  For it to work, the client machine must maintain a temporary table
> supplied by the Director for each job. This table contains all the files that
> are in the current backup from the Director's point of view at the beginning
> of the job.  The table allows the FD to determine what files have been added
> and/or deleted to/from the system that are not yet saved (or deleted).
>
> As currently implemented this table is a hash table using the hash class that
> I wrote 3 or 4 years ago for this particular project. It is fast and
> efficient.
>
> Problem:
> Currently the hash table is entirely kept in memory, which means the client
> uses a rather huge amount of memory, which for systems with 10 million files
> will probably exceed even the largest amounts of RAM currently used.  We
> would like to have some solution that allows the number of files to grow to
> 20 million or more and still use less than 1GB of RAM.

I wont claim that my applications are programmed in a sane manner..  but
my largest fileset currently contains 27m files. I would like to disable
this feature if it kills my server.

Doesnt the bacula-directors restore-browser suffer from the excact same
problem?

Jesper
--
Jesper