Re: [Bacula-devel] jcr->client->FDport

On Sun, Mar 16, 2008 at 10:13:03PM +0100, Kern Sibbald wrote:
> On Saturday 15 March 2008 16:25:13 Petar Bogdanovic wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > in order to backup multiple client simultaneously over a ssh-tunnel, the
> > director should be able to pass FDPort to RunBeforeJob. I'm thinking
> > about implementing something like %p which later would be substituted by
> > the port number of the client.
> >
> > However, I am pretty unsure about how to do it since jcr->client (jcr.h)
> > is only available when dird gets built. All the other %[a-z]
> > substitutions from util.c seem to take their information from the global
> > JCR part but I can't see no client resource variables there. Except
> > client_name which seems a bit weird to me (I would expect it under
> > jcr->client, but what do _I_ know? ;).
> >

> > All hints are welcome.
>
> I don't see the need for this -- Bacula has TLS built, which is easier to use
> than tunneling.

If you have to backup x hosts behind x firewalls maintained by x/3
unreachable and x/3 dismissive admins, you don't have much of a choice.

> There is one Director substitution in the SVN trunk code that is not in the
> global part of the JCR. It is done by using a callback.

I see, thanks.

While we are on the tunneling subject: RunBeforeJob is a great thing but
it's not well suited for connecting to tunneled clients, clients in
VPNetworks or for servers behind a dial-up connection.

Something like `RunBeforeClientConnect' could do the trick but I don't
know how possible this is, since it would require very smart scripts.

Thanks,

Petar