Re: [Bacula-devel] New option: Max Sched Run Time

Hi,

> > I want to add a new option to job time control. At this time, we have
> > 3 of them.
> >
> > Max Start Delay = <time>
> >   The time specifies the maximum delay between the scheduled time and the
> > actual start time for the Job.
> >
> > Max Run Time = <time>
> >   The time specifies the maximum allowed time that a job may run, counted
> > from when the job starts, (not necessarily the same as when the job was
> > scheduled).
> >
> > Max Wait Time = <time>
> > The time specifies the maximum allowed time that a job may block waiting
> > for a resource (such as waiting for a tape to be mounted, or waiting for
> > the storage or file daemons to perform their duties), counted from the
> > when the job starts, (not necessarily the same as when  the job was
> > scheduled).
> >
> > FYI, Max Wait Time doesn't work as expected, it works exactly like Max
> > Run Time. (it's the same code) I will also try to fix that.

We have also Max Incr Wait Time, and Max Diff Wait Time.

> > I think that it can be interresting to have a Max Sched Run Time option,
> > that will use schedule time to determine if the job have to be cancel.
> >
> > Scheduled Time = 00:00
> > Max Sched Run Time = 6h
> >
> > => Job will not run after 6h00
> >
> > Yes, we can use Max Start Delay AND Max Run Time, but it's not very easy
> > to setup.
> >
> > Ideas, comments ? Is Max Sched Run Delay the right keyword ?
>
> Can you explain *exactly* what the keyword causes to happen?  It sounds
> like you are trying to define a "run window" (a *very* good idea).

In documentation, i will add something like :
Max Run Sched Time = <min>
The time specifies the maximum allowed time that a job may run, counted
from when the job was scheduled.

> However, I am a bit unsure if it just blocks scheduling a job, or if a job
> runs too long will it be cancelled?

It must cancel the job in the two cases.

> If the later is the case, then this
> is essentially a way to say "cancel the job if it is still running after
> hh:mm".
>
> Wouldn't a directive like "Cancel at hh:mm [am/pm]" be simpler for the user
> to understand?  (where the am/pm would be optional and would imply 12 hour
> notation rather than standard 24 hour notation -- same as the Schedule
> resource).

StartTime is defined in Schedule resource, so if this option is in Job
resource (it depends on job), it will be source of mistakes. (The two
resources are not in the same place)

And if the job takes more than 24hours, it will not work. (I know that you
like this kind of job... :D )

Bye