Re: [Bacula-devel] New option: Max Sched Run Time

On Friday 14 March 2008 22:51:24 Eric Bollengier wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to add a new option to job time control. At this time, we have
> 3 of them.
>
> Max Start Delay = <time>
>   The time specifies the maximum delay between the scheduled time and the
> actual start time for the Job.
>
> Max Run Time = <time>
>   The time specifies the maximum allowed time that a job may run, counted
> from when the job starts, (not necessarily the same as when the job was
> scheduled).
>
> Max Wait Time = <time>
> The time specifies the maximum allowed time that a job may block waiting
> for a resource (such as waiting for a tape to be mounted, or waiting for
> the storage or file daemons to perform their duties), counted from the when
> the job starts, (not necessarily the same as when  the job was scheduled).
>
> FYI, Max Wait Time doesn't work as expected, it works exactly like Max Run
> Time. (it's the same code) I will also try to fix that.
>
> I think that it can be interresting to have a Max Sched Run Time option,
> that will use schedule time to determine if the job have to be cancel.
>
> Scheduled Time = 00:00
> Max Sched Run Time = 6h
>
> => Job will not run after 6h00
>
> Yes, we can use Max Start Delay AND Max Run Time, but it's not very easy to
> setup.
>
> Ideas, comments ? Is Max Sched Run Delay the right keyword ?

Can you explain *exactly* what the keyword causes to happen?  It sounds like
you are trying to define a "run window" (a *very* good idea).

However, I am a bit unsure if it just blocks scheduling a job, or if a job
runs too long will it be cancelled?   If the later is the case, then this is
essentially a way to say "cancel the job if it is still running after hh:mm".

Wouldn't a directive like "Cancel at hh:mm [am/pm]" be simpler for the user to
understand?  (where the am/pm would be optional and would imply 12 hour
notation rather than standard 24 hour notation -- same as the Schedule
resource).