[Bacula-devel] Prefer Mounted Volumes

Hello I am having a Problem with Bacula 2.2.6

I have 2 TapeDrives (DAT-72)
Im running everyday lots of BackupJobs. For this purpose I use a single
Pool.

Because of the big amount of Data being backed up daily, I have to
change tapes once a day and rarely 2 times. I always try to maintaing
the both Drives equally busy distributing the Jobs among the two drives.

At the beginning I had a Problem, Sometimes a Job wanted the tape which
was on the other tape, and there was no way to force Bacula to use the
Tape I intended to use. Altough I was using a valid recycled Tape.

I though the Issue could be resolved using the directive PREFER MOUNTED
VOLUMES = NO for every Job would help.

Indeed, it was better, because when Bacula told me to use a specific
tape.  If I inserted another "VALID" tape of the same Pool and mounted
it, then bacula had no problem to write it.

BUT!!

Even using this option, I found that Bacula is still having some
Preferences about the volumes to be use, which I found ok because, if I
dont force bacula to use a specific tape, then naturally bacula should
still be able to say what would be next tape to be use.  But this can
create new Problems.

This way can recreate the problem.
There are two Drives.  Drive A, and Drive B.
The volume001 is mounted on Drive A, and volume002 on Drive B respectively.
(As I put before, every Job uses the same Pool)
For this trial Bacula is ready to use volume001 as the next usable Tape
for any Job related to the Pool.

If I try to run a Job using the Drive B (loaded with volume002). Then
the error happens.
Bacula want me to mount volume001 on DriveB. Even if the PREFER MOUnTED
VOLUME=NO was set for the JOB!!
but it gets even worse!

Bacula has detected that volume001 was on driveA, so bacula did some
pseudo-unmounting. This is strange because the volume is not properly
unmounted, so i can not get the tape from DriveA without unmounting it
properly.  The tape is also not properly mounted, If I try to start a
Job on DriveA the Bacula says that DriveA is mount with an unknown
volume, altough this is volume001 !!!

and this is what I have to do every time this happens:

Bacula wanted me to mount volume001 on DriveB,   Drive B was mounted
with volume002, because Bacula wanted volume001, then the volume002 was
also kind of pseudo-unmounted.
If I want bacula to write using volume002 instead of volume001, then i
have to remount it....

.
I think, in this case Bacula should check first which volume is mounted
on the drive, and if the volume is Valid and the Flag prefer mounted
volumes=NO is set, then Bacula should not ask for another tape, even if
the tape is already mounted somewhere else... and just start writing
instead of wait for intervention..

any ideas how to solve this problem?

--
Christian Sabelmann
Hardwareentwickler

portrix.net GmbH
Stresemannstr. 375
22761 Hamburg
Germany
HRB 79850 (Amtsgericht Hamburg)
Geschäftsführer: Knud Alex Müller, Henning Voss, Niclas Schroeder

http://www.portrix.net