Re: [Bacula-devel] [Bacula-users] [Fwd: Re: bacula : about the bacula.spec form rpms]

Hi.

03.03.2008 22:00, Frank Sweetser wrote:
> Kern Sibbald wrote:
>
>>> If you do it by reinstalling the OS from normal distro media, then you can
>>> also reinstall Bacula from rpms on a CD.
>> As mentioned above, the binaries are not necessarily the most critical part
>> unless perhaps you have applied a number of critical patches.  The most
>> important parts are your Director's conf file, your catalog, and shortly any
>> special plugins, but as time goes by, there are more and more little pieces
>> that are important.  By saving everything in one wack, you are sure you did
>> not miss anything.
>
> Perhaps a reasonable compromise might be to ensure that, as part of the
> packaging process, a "bootstrap" job is created?  For example, this might be
> as simple as a separate config file (call it "bootstrap.inc", for example),
> containing just a fileset definition.  The default director config could then
> ship with a pre-canned job that includes that file for the fileset definition.
>   As other files are added to the list of what's required to bootstrap, the
> package maintainer just has to add the appropriate directories and files to
> thown approach is to manually e bootstrap.inc file.

Ho about going even one step further: Get the necessary file set from
the daemons themselves?

I imagine a command which returns each daemons cital path information,
namely the path of the binary itself, and the configuration file. Like

files sd=mystorage-sd
bin=/sbin/bacula-sd
conf=/etc/bacula/bacula-sd.conf

Of course, with include files and chrooted daemons this becomes more
difficult, but it might be a first step.

parse that information, and you've got a good starting point to even
create the vital file sets automatically...

By the way: I agree with David that following standards is a good
thing, but I also see Kerns point of having all the vital stuff easily
packaged together.

My own approach is to manually keep an up-to-date list of all the
files needed (which is also used during upgrades as I typically
install from source and don't like 'make install' for an upgrade...
but that's another story).

Arno

--
Arno Lehmann