Re: [Bacula-devel] resetting volume status

On Saturday 26 April 2008 16:59:25 Andreas Piesk wrote:
> Scott Barninger schrieb:
> > I recently noticed a problem and perhaps I just didn't know the best way
> > to correct it, but thought I'd send this out. I'm still running 2.2.7 on
> > EL3. Strange thing happened with the filesystem, I was out a few days
> > this week and returned to find all jobs in error status due to being
> > unable to access the file storage media. Quick check of ls on the
> > directory showed no files but df showed space used. When I tried to
> > unmount the partition it refused because it was "busy". After rebooting
> > the system everything was OK, all volume files were back, and I ran all
> > backup jobs OK.
>
> i have/had similar problems with 2.2.9. i have volumes labeled
> volume00..volume35 attached to device "filestorage" and the used
> filesystem has plenty of space and no errors. but sometimes sd deletes a
> volume and complains afterwards, that there is no such volume:
>
> 19-Apr 23:05 pyramid-dir JobId 56: Start Backup JobId 56,
> Job=BackupPyramid.2008-04-19_23.05.38
> 19-Apr 23:05 pyramid-dir JobId 56: Using Device "FileStorage"
> 19-Apr 23:05 pyramid-sd JobId 56: Volume "volume30" previously written,
> moving to end of data.
> 19-Apr 23:05 pyramid-sd JobId 56: Ready to append to end of Volume
> "volume30" size=888769556
> 19-Apr 23:07 pyramid-sd JobId 56: User defined maximum volume capacity
> 1,073,741,824 exceeded on device "FileStorage" (/var/arkeia/BACULA).
> 19-Apr 23:07 pyramid-sd JobId 56: End of medium on Volume "volume30"
> Bytes=1,073,725,348 Blocks=16,645 at 19-Apr-2008 23:07.
> 19-Apr 23:07 pyramid-sd JobId 56: Warning: Volume "volume31" not on
> device "FileStorage" (/var/arkeia/BACULA).
> 19-Apr 23:07 pyramid-sd JobId 56: Marking Volume "volume31" in Error in
> Catalog.
> 19-Apr 23:07 pyramid-sd JobId 56: Warning: Volume "volume31" not on
> device "FileStorage" (/var/arkeia/BACULA).
> 19-Apr 23:07 pyramid-sd JobId 56: Marking Volume "volume31" in Error in
> Catalog.
> 19-Apr 23:07 pyramid-sd JobId 56: Error: Could not open device
> "FileStorage" (/var/arkeia/BACULA): ERR=dev.c:491 Could not open:
> /var/arkeia/BACULA/volume31, ERR=No such file or directory
>
> after restarting bacula (sd + dir, maybe sd alone would suffice) and
> recreating the volumes with status "error" the next job ran successfully.
>
> btw: ignore the "arkeia" in the directory name, i'm just migrating from
> arkeia to bacula :)

Mounting a filesystem on a directory that has files in it will mask the files
in that directory.

So bnoth of the problems described above if they come from mounted filesystems
(not local filesystems) are probably caused by not always having the
filesystem correctly mounted for one reason or another.  Bacula currently
*never* deletes any Volume, so that is just not possible.  However, if
Volumes are disappearing, it is likely that there is a local Volume that
Bacula creates or uses when the filesystem is not mounted, and there is a
different Volume (or none) that Bacula uses when the filesystem is mounted.

Kern