Re: [Bacula-devel] 2.4.1 not releasing tapes

Kern Sibbald wrote:
> On Saturday 26 July 2008 02:14:54 Shad L. Lords wrote:
>> What you end up with is MA3001 and MA3002 are full, MA3003 is < 50%
>> full, MA3004 is < 1% full (catalog in my case).  I would have expected
>> Job 4 to swap MA3003 back to Drive 0 and write the data there before
>> starting a new volume.
>
> Well, what would probably clarify this is to have debug level 200 output from
> the SD we could then see exactly what the Director was returning to job 4 as
> a Volume or why the SD decided it could not use MA3003 for job 4.

I'll see if I can get this for you on 2.4.2 (assuming that it still
happens).

> Despite the fact that it did not do what you expected, it doesn't sound like
> it really did anything wrong.  It may just be one of those cases that could
> use optimization, and there are a lot of them, but my first priority is to
> get it working correctly, then hopefully we can optimize the swapping of
> drives to be a minimum, and finally in some later version we can dynamically
> switch drives and avoid swapping altogether, which is where I really want to
> go :-)

The only concern I have is that a tape gets recycled/reused quicker then
it should.  All the data does get backed up and is accessible but data
that used to be on the tape is no longer available.

-Shad